1. The Durango Lodge is a perfectly placed hotel in Downtown Durango, tell me a little history about the Durango Lodge and how long has is been there?
The Durango Lodge was built in 1965 so we have been around for a long time. My parents built the motel, then my husband and I took over in 1971. Knowing the age of the motel may scare some guests away but we are constantly working at keeping our rooms updated and the compliments seem to indicate we are doing a good job.
2. What does Durango Lodge offer that other Durango hotels do not?
We are located downtown so guests can walk to the restaurants and the main attraction in Durango, the Narrow Gauge Railroad. As we are not a chain motel, our rates are generally the lowest downtown but the condition of our rooms equals, if not surpasses most chain affiliated motels. We are small, only 39 units, but this only adds to the time we can take to assist our guests.
3. What do your visitor’s to Durango Lodge love the most about your property?
Our location has always been our best asset.
4. What is your favorite way to spend a day in Durango?
There are so many things to do in this area. In the summer, we love to head to the mountains for a picnic by a stream; or head to a nearby lake for fishing or boating. Winter brings excellent skiing, many sunny days for snowmobiling or just relaxing by the fireplace. Fall is probably the our most favorite time of the year. The days are warm, the colorful trees are breathtaking! Guess I don’t have just one favorite way to spend the day.
5. What do you think is Durango’s best kept secret?
I think that most families that visit are surprised at how many things there are to do for all members of the family; probably why many return year after.