Durango’s historic Strater Hotel is celebrating its 125th birthday this year! Throughout the year, the Strater Hotel will enjoy a variety of activities, celebrations, and events.
Strater Hotel Open House
Kicking off its birthday is the annual Strater Hotel Open House scheduled for Thursday, April 19, 4:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. – the Open House will coincide with a special Room Dedication Project where a variety of the hotel’s guest rooms will be unveiled through unique history room and hotel tours. Strater Hotel General Manager, Michelle Thom, said a lot of time and thought has gone into specially dedicating select rooms that will each receive a plaque and history dossier.
It is no accident that this year the 125th Birthday of the Strater is also the inaugural year of the rooms dedication project,” said Mrs. Thom. “The room dedication project is something that owner Rod Barker has wanted to do for some time. This year we will unveil close to ten rooms dedicated to those people or entities that have helped change the face of Durango, and helped make the Strater what it is today. We have dozens of nominees and are reviewing, interviewing, and compiling the best historical past and present recipients that we can. We look forward to unveiling the first recipients at this year’s annual Open House.
At the end of the room tours, guests will be given a ticket for a complimentary drink, dessert bar, and cheese and fruit buffet. Also scheduled but not limited to:
- Strater Hotel drawing for a one-night stay and Mahogany Grille gift certificate
- Complimentary carriage rides by San Juan Outfitters during Open House, Thursday, August 19, starting at 4:30 p.m.
- Fashion show of historical clothing at 7:00 p.m. in the Henry Strater Theatre following Open House; a $5.00 donation to benefit Animas Museum suggested
- Mahogany Grille, Diamond Belle Saloon, and The Office Spiritorium will be open regular hours during Open House
- Birthday Room package, complete with Strater Commemorative 125th Birthday wine, copy of The Strater Hotel Story book, Strater Hotel History Tour, and a $100 dinner credit for our award-winning Mahogany Grille.